|Aloha Teen Theatre|
Homework Eats Dog and Other Woeful Tales
by Alan Haehnel
Directed by Engela Edwards
AD: Rachel Edwards
For high-school science-teacher Dr. Kobekeaneski there's nothing greater than "The Hour of Desperation," that magical hour before the immensely important, grade-devastating assignment is due. Each year, Dr. Kobekeaneski's students frantically scramble to come up with their method of escape -- and this year is no exception, as they trot out a litany of outrageous excuses. The Aloha Teen Theatre company will perform this comedy at the Aloha Theatre.
Saturday April 23 at 12:30 & 2:30 p.m.
Meeting Notes 2015-2016 season.(You might want to "refresh" or "reload" this page if it looks the same to you as it did last week.
April 9, 2016
April 1, 2016
Secretary position is being split by Olivia and Riley.
Star and Kiana are out the
10th, 14th, and 16th of March?
Asking theatre if we can use mics.
Considering doing baked good on the side of the concession stand (corner where Rocky Horror Show sold bags)
- More auditions.
- Pick show dates.
- Talk about MLK Day.
- Talk about Gala.
- Talk about Kona Coffee Festival
- Talk about attending HPA musical.
“The Audition” is a hilarious look at the madness of
auditioning and the actors who brave the process for
that perfect part. In this play a theater
teacher is auditioning actors for a show. The hopefuls
range from shy to outrageous, and from diva-like to
Tickets: $10 for adults 19 and older; $5 for youth.
Repeats are free with ticket stub.
Produced by special arrangements with Playscripts, Inc. www.playscripts.com
- Auditioned a new actor, Will Rogers. Gave him the role that I had given Yajm One, who I found out that day from one of the other actors that she wasn't coming to rehearsals and had decided not to be in the show.
- Had to give Will and Riley their blocking. Which meant we didn't get to teaching the choreography.
- Chose red as the group color.
Agenda for October 2
- Let Rachel teach the dance.
- Test to make sure everyone except Will is off book.
- Go over calender for remainder of rehearsals.
Agenda for September 25:
- Auditioned a new actor, Yajm One. Gave her a role and had her understudy. Cassie/Sarah.
- Taught "Ball exercise and focus."
- Taught one way to write blocking in the script.
- Blocked whole show minus the dances.
- Gave everyone blocking paper for their script, scene breakdown, and printed schedule.
- Since we were going to lose two actors at 6 p.m. we did not walk to theater.
- Since two actors had markings on face for homecoming where they were to sing the National Anthem, we did not take cast photos.
- ATT Officer and member meeting went well.
- Told the group that they would be getting an online scavenger hunt this weekend.
- Follow up on theatre recycles. There was much discussion on how gross it was and how many people threw up the last time, and that they felt that it wasn't worth the effort. They also said that they had no parents who would volunteer a truck and take the recycles to be exchanged. But in the end, they voted to continue, and also do it more frequently. They can't do it before rehearsal, because they would be too gross. They can't do it after rehearsal since it is dark and there are rodents. ATT chose this coming Sunday, Sept. 20 at 2 p.m. to give it a try. They ask if there could be a reward or event for those that participated. I said that they would be so gross afterwards, that they won't want to go anywhere except maybe for a swim.
- Olivia will make a chart for sweeping, and have two people per week sign up starting next week to sweep. We did not find the big broom.
- The question was asked if we needed an additional treasurer as our current treasure is not participating during this show. So Lydia Robbins was nominated and elected unanimously.
- Zea Lavine asked if there was anyone who would take over her position as secretary, and Hali'a Locke-Nascimeno volunteered. She was then nominated and unanimously elected.
- Zea Lavine asked since everyone who was there was on time, if it was possible to go back to ending at 6:30 p.m. But as it was already 7 p.m. I decided to move that discussion to the next meeting
- Photos as soon as everyone arrives.
- Run show.
- Teach dances.
- Make sure we have the release forms from the new people.
- I recommend leaving the schedule as is, but having more games for those who arrive early, and consider having a snack break in addition to our regular breaks.
- Rylie wants to discuss Halloween plans.
- Review recycle results & Treasures report.
Director Ms. Torrance: Kiana Ching
Stage Manager Tommy: Christian Stirling
Yuma: Lily Cho
Cassie (Sarah Actor 2): Riley Newton
Carrie: Zea Levine
Alison (Actor 7 at end): Hali'a Locke-Nascimeno
Soleil: Olivia Loney
Gina (Actor 2 & 5): Kimmee Jankanish
Erika (Actor 6): Erika Neilson
Yajm (Actor 7 at beginning): Yajm One
Elizabeth: Lydia Robbins
Elizabeth's Mother: Olivia Loney
Carrie's Mother: Lydia Robbins
Marissa: Kimmee Jankanish
Alison's Mother: Erika Neilson
Mean Girl 1 Hali'a Locke-Nascimeno
Mean Girl 2 Riley Newton
Mean Girl 3 Kimmee Jankanish
Mean Girl 4: Zea Levine
- Auditions finished. Thank you guys for bringing three new people. The show is going to be great.
- Read through the script.
- Assigned scripts. Only use yellow highlighter and pencil. Don't lose. Will go over this again.
- Taught what the stage possitions are called. Example: Stage Right, Up Center, etc.
- Work on body positions.
- Did not set the date and time for the recyclables. Will do this week.
Agenda for Sept. 18
- Teach one way to write your blocking in the script.
- Do walk through and have actors write the blocking in their script.
- Give everyone the scene breakdown.
- Walk to the theater and show the actors the stage, so the actors can better visualize what they will be doing.
- Take cast photo if it isn't raining!
- ATT Officer and member meeting:
- On line scavenger hunt on your phones if you have a data plan.
- Get follow up on theatre recycles.
- Set schedule for sweeping.
- Find the big broom.
- Officer question.
- Rehearsal and performance schedule was confirmed with everyone. See below.
- Some of the funniest, most enjoyable improv I've seen in a long time. Your show will be wonderful. You guys rock. Those who were there have been cast, but there is room for more.
- Because of the flash flooding some people were missing. So hopefully they'll be there at 4 this Friday, Sept. 11, 2015.
- Bring friends. There is room for everyone!
Partial Agenda for Sept. 11, 2015
- Cast new people.
- Rehearse the show.
- Set time to do the theatre recyclables.
- Found Emily was out sick, but might be there for the show. I chose to put Rachel in her place so that Olivia wouldn't have to dance alone, and I knew Rachel would gladly step out if Emily could make it to the show.
- John Victor out with injury.
- Most of the Teens worked from 10 to 11:30 setting up theatre.
- We were able to start our rehearsal early. Stayed until Kat and Sophia arrived, so we could run the numbers with them, then released everyone.
- Trained Kitty on the soundboard during the rehearsal.
- Returned at 3 p.m. for APAC Board Meeting, sewed dancers into their costumes, and introduced the new ATT Officers.
- Board meeting ended early, so Jerry met with presenters early.
- Dance went well. Could have been better if Kitty had been on sound, because it should have started when the black out happened. Instead I had time to get to the back and tell them to turn on the music. Also it would have been better with no microphones or be able to make adjustments in rehearsal. Sound levels on master changed from rehearsal preset 3 hours before, because of what was needed for the podium microphone. I didn't know until the dance started, and so the sound on stage was too low for some of the dancers. Recommend fixing this for next year.
- Olivia performed well her extra duties as ATT President.
- Many stayed to help strike after the show, with Lydia, her parents, Zia, and Rachel staying until the end to help.
Partial Agenda for September 4 meeting.
AUDITIONS FOR "The Audition"
When: Auditions this Friday, September 4, 2015, 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. Be prompt. Quiet parents are welcome to stay during auditions.
Play description: A theater teacher is auditioning actors for a show. The hopefuls range from shy to outrageous, and from diva-like to determined. A hilarious look at the madness of auditioning and the actors who brave the process for that perfect part. Rated G, published by Playscripts Inc.
Cost to participate FREE
- Script sample: https://www.playscripts.com/sample/1427 (You will need to sign up for their free email list to read it on line.)
- Current ATT members, If you are planning to audition, then read the script and prepare (memorize) a monologue from the script, preferably a monologue of a character you’d like to play, and let me know the roles that interest you. Remember ALL the characters appear on stage, even the director character.
- Please bring a reliable friend who is interested in joining ATT (free) and auditioning to be in the show (also free).
- New people, just show up ready to read on Friday, and make a commitment to be at all the rehearsals and performances.
- Remember if you like a role and it says it is a female or male role, don’t let that stop you. We can changed the sex of the character except for probably … Sarah and Tommy.
- Rehearsals (see below).
Performances: Aloha Theatre 79-7384 Hawaii Belt Rd, Kealakekua, HI 96750
Preferred rehearsal and performance schedule.
1. Friday Sept. 4, 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. Auditions at the APAC LOFT.
2. Friday Sept. 11, 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. Casting and rehearsal at the APAC LOFT. Publicity photos will be taken by Engela. Wear clothes without logos or graphics. Short bio due. Pick costume accent color for students. New people please come at 4:00 p.m. to fill out the paperwork.
3. Friday, Sept. 18, 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. rehearsal at the APAC LOFT.
4. Friday, Sept. 25, 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. rehearsal at the APAC LOFT.
5. Friday Oct. 2, 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. rehearsal at the APAC LOFT.
Friday, Oct. 9 NO rehearsal, because it is public school fall break starts.
6. Friday, Oct. 16, 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. rehearsal at the APAC LOFT.
7. Saturday, Oct 17, Noon to 4 p.m. THEATER, come in costume, makeup, and with your hair done as in the show.
8. Sunday, Oct. 18, Noon to 4 p.m. THEATER (costumes if everyone not passed on Saturday.)
9. Monday, Oct. 19, 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. THEATER (costumes only if everyone not passed on Sunday.)
10. Tuesday, Oct. 20, 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. THEATER (costumes only if everyone not passed on Monday.)
11. Wednesday, Oct. 21, 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. THEATER (Costumes hair and makeup for show production photos, will be taken.) May have to move to the loft.
Thursday, Oct. 22, OFF if we’re in good shape.
12. Friday, Oct. 23, 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. rehearsal at the APAC LOFT. NO costumes needed.
Performance 1: Saturday, Oct. 24, Call (at theater in costume, with hair and makeup done at 1:30 p.m.) Show time 2:30 p.m. will be out by 4 p.m.
Performance 2: Sunday, Oct. 25, Call (at theater in costume, with hair and makeup done at 1:30 p.m.) Show time 2:30 p.m. will be out by 4 p.m.
13. Friday, Oct. 30. 4:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. pick up rehearsal at the APAC LOFT. NO costumes needed.
HALLOWEEN: OFF - no rehearsals or performances.
Performance 3: Sunday, Nov. 1, Call (at theater in costume, with hair and makeup done at 1:30 p.m.) Show time 2:30 p.m. will be out by 4 p.m.Costumes are EASY and can be something you already own: Think school clothes or dance clothes, that you already have and would wear to a show audition. No logos or graphics though. Confine the color white to only small accent colors. The mom and dad character, will need an additional costume besides their student costume. The theatre director needs to look like an adult, so raid your parents’ closet. One unifying accent color will be decided on in first rehearsal, based on what most people already own.
Pass this info on to anyone ages 13 through 18.
Engela EdwardsATT Advisor
- Worst attended rehearsal with only Mia, Oliver, Ariana, Lydia, Olivia, Kat, and Sophia in attendance. Kat left at 6 to go to the airport, and she was Sophia's ride.
- NO electricity! Rehearsed with phones and portable speakers.
- Finished testing of lyrics and dance.
- Added Lydia to Olivia to Kat's part.
- Quarried the group to see who was available for the play as scheduled.
For Friday's Agenda see below...
- Dress rehearsal. Rehearsed the numbers on stage in costume with MOST of the performers.
- Made partner changes.
- Added another person to the Kat's solo.
- Mia was able to secure the use of 3 microphones for the show, but we weren't able to use them for rehearsal.
- One speaker out, Melissa is on it, and monitors for the stage.
- Rehearsed the numbers, with most the performers.
- Corrected lyrics.
- Met a potential new ATT member.
- Went to OPF after rehearsal with some of ATT, and saw the performance of 5 ATT members.
- Was not able to set audition date.
- Told ATT that there would be another on line test.
Partial Agenda for Thursday.
- 4:30 to 5:00 p.m. Rehearse on stage with people who've missed or been late to rehearsals, and those that just want more work on the dance.
- 5:00 to 6:00 p.m. Rehearse on stage with everyone, change into costume and shoes near end of rehearsal.
- 6:10 to 7 p.m. Dress rehearsal.
- Lyric and dance review, two at a time.
- Make changes to line partners.
Partial Agenda for Friday:
- Fony's review.
- Mia turns meeting over to new officers.
- Ask for audition date input.
- Vote on ATT structure.
- Rehearsed the numbers, but didn't do anything else.
- Surprisingly lyrics haven't been learned, except by a few.
- Let people know that Gill said no microphones for Fonys.
- Went to OPF after rehearsal with some of ATT, saw more ATT members there.
Agenda for Friday.
- Make sure everyone can find the calendar and has the songs loaded to their computer, phone, or has a CD.
- Work Mia's solo with her.
- Review for Dress on Thursday.
- Review procedures for phones, sign in, and late or absent.
- Combine numbers.
- Set "The Audition" auditions.
Good rehearsal. Dances finished except for a couple of solos.
- "Name Game (added variety of speed and variety of pitch), Did a circle weave, and was impressed by how quickly everyone picked up the weave.
- By then most of the performers had arrived, and we did a quick review of the the dance from the day before.
- I did a quick dance talent review, and divided the groups for the new dance.
- Taught the beginning of the dance, and continued working on tableaus, this time adding a theme for the dance.
- Held an ATT meeting, while the performers cooled down. Last reminder to get forms to Melissa. Was unable to set the date of the auditions. Let ATT know that there would be an on line test this weekend.
- Finished teaching "All the World's a Stage." Those who had to leave for OPF, still need to learn the end of the dance. Still need to break the lines, and get more interesting groups.
- Still need Mia's solo, and Kat's tap solo.
- Reminder to everyone to learn the words of both songs!
- Stayed late to check out costumes for the Fony's.
Partial agenda for Wednesday:
- Teach Friday OPF performers and Taniella the remainder of the "All the World's a Stage."
- Clean up "Hooray..."
- Make sure everyone has a costume.
- The difference in sound between singing along, and singing.
Great turn out for an extra rehearsal. Was very happy to see the work on the stage. For those who came early, we played theatre games: "Name Game" because we had a new person;"Photographer" to teach spacing and tableau, and "Telephone" to experience creatively thinking on your feet, and also, so that I get to better know the performers' skills.
We finished teaching the choreography to the dance we started last week. I was very happy to have Rachel volunteer to be my dance captain, so I could watch.
I felt things went smoother, with new sign in and cell phone procedures. Thank you.
- Three new people, Christian, Kiana, and Taniello, came 30 minutes early and immediately started working on the songs.
- Introduced Rachel Edwards as my dance captain.
- Played name games to help new people learn names.
- Voted for Aloha Teen Theatre Volunteer Service Award.
- Reminded Teens that the show pitch form is online, link in the ATT Google Groups.
- Was asked if we could add extra Fony rehearsals. I said I'd ask, and that I'd do it if everyone wanted it. Have since added the "extra rehearsals" to the group calendar. I'd like discussion on the Google group.
- Worked on Dance for Fony's
- Passed out registration forms again! Please return them.
- Discussion about if teens felt there was a need for the parents to meet me formally.
- "The Audition"
- Announced the next play for ATT October dates is "The Audition" by Don Zolidis.
- Teens were asked to read the play. Sign up to get Playscripts' emails, and you can read 90% of the script on line at: John Victor will AD, and Rachel will stage manage and be assistant choreographer for "The Audition." https://www.playscripts.com/play/1427.
- Audition date for "The Audition" has not be set, but it is soon.
- Chose presenters for Fony's
John Victor Ribeiro
Partial agenda for next meeting:
- Last time to make sure Melissa or I have parent signed forms for EVERYONE. http://apachawaii.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Registration_Form.pdf
- Finish teaching the dances. See if they fit on the stage.
- Finalize all rehearsal dates and times from now until November 1.
- Choose audition date.
- Remind everyone that the costume check out date has changed.
I'm very excited that there were 14 talented teens at the meeting. Things went smoothly, but we still need signed forms from almost every member. Your parents can find the forms on line at: https://app.arts-people.com/index.php?class=apac
2015-16 ATT officers were elected. Physical warmups.
In addition to singing the two songs, the following reminders were given.
- Reminder to look at this web page for important links.
- Reminder to join the Aloha Teens Theatre Google Group, and look at the calendar for everything Fony related. (links above)
- Reminder to download the music and know it by the next meeting.
- Reminder to read the last weeks info on the website (below).
- Reminder to always bring your script, water, and a pencil to all meetings.
- Show pitch form is online, link in ATT Google Groups.
I said I would always be 15 minutes early for the meeting and stay 15 minutes late. Those would be great times to talk with your friends and ask me questions.
Partial agenda for next week.
Vote for ATT Volunteer Service Award.
- What to do when you come in.
- What to do when you come in late.
- What to do with your phone.
- And having the incoming officers observe the outgoing officers meetings until the transition at the Fony's.
Who will be the presenters at the Fony's.
Make sure Melissa or I have parent signed forms for EVERYONE.
Names please check spelling:Outgoing Officers
Mia Kriebl-Bruno - President
Alicia Hicks - Vice President
Deja Logan - Secretary
Simon Ellis - TreasurerIncoming Officers
The advancing ATT members who are advancing because of age.
Olivia Loney - President
Riley Newton - Vice President
Zea Levine - Secretary
Sofia Ribeiro - Treasurer
- Mia Kriebl-Bruno
- John Victor Ribeiro
First of all, I want to say THANK YOU! To the teens who came to Friday’s meeting and rehearsal. You made my first meeting very enjoyable. You’re a very talented performers, and a nice people. I appreciate the past ATT advisers Sue, Roxanne, Megan, and all the others. You’ve left me a wonderful group. I can’t wait to see what we’ll do together. Hope to see all the teens next week. Bring friends. It is difficult to choose shows until I know who I have.
For those of you who missed Friday’s meeting, here is what we decided. Please read the notes below:
1. NOW: You may start nominating your 2015-2016 ATT officers, on line here on Facebook. FRIDAY, July 31, 4:30 p.m. We will take any additional nominations at the beginning of the meeting next week and then proceed with the elections. You may nominate yourself. If you are nominated, and you do not wish to commit the extra time, responsibility, and work; then please decline the nomination. No one will think less of you. Positions needed to fill: president, vice president, treasurer, and secretary. Sorry, only those ATT members who will not be any older than 18 on August 1, will be eligible to vote, nominate, and hold office. Those newly elected will be presented by the outgoing officers at the APAC annual meeting, SATURDAY, AUGUST 29, at 3 p.m.
2. Also at the FRIDAY, July 31, 4:30 p.m. you will vote for one person of your choice for the “ATT Outstanding Service Award.” The winner will be announced at the Fony’s. The Fony’s are immediately following the APAC annual meeting. Fony’s will start at 4 p.m. with the awards and performances starting at 4:30 p.m. Your audience will be a very friendly audience. ATT members from last year and the current year who attend the next 4 meeting and dress rehearsal may perform. The music has been chosen. I’ve uploaded the music, rehearsal tracks, and lyrics for you to download and practice. To facilitate transfer of music files I need your email address, so I’m asking you to join the ATT google group at: https://groups.google.com/d/forum/aloha-teen-theatre Let me know if you have any problems joining. Your parents are also allowed to join.
3. I’m doing the choreography this week and need to have a commitment from all who would like to perform at the Fony’s. It isn’t too late to join, but you need to let me know and be at all the ATT meetings between now and the performance.
4. The theme of this year’s Fony’s is Hollywood. No specific time period, just Hollywood glamor. You may dress as a specific movie star, or just “red carpet glamor. Have fun with it, but remember you have to be able to dance in your costume and shoes. You may wear your own costume, or on SATURDAY, August 22, at 2 p.m. Paula will be in the loft for you to come in, chose and check out a costume for the show. It will be turned in to Paula immediately after the Fony’s, so bring a change of clothes to wear home. (Incentive: There will be a prize for best costume at the Fony’s.)
5. The Fony committee has requested that the teens come and help with the Fony’s set up from 10 a.m. to Noon on SATURDAY, August 29. In addition to your two numbers, they have also requested that there are 7 ATT presenters.
6. Your ATT calendar is posted at: https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=actor%40easytheatre.com&ctz=Pacific/Honolulu
7. ATT’s next play will be performed SUNDAYS, Oct 18, Oct 23, and Nov 1 at 2:30 p.m. at the Aloha Theatre. We need to see everyone at ATT meetings. I’ll base the options I’ll present based on what I see at the meetings. You may also present options. I’m working on a form for you to present your ideas that is based off the APAC Kokua Committee form.
8. Advancing ATT members. This the Fony’s will be your last performance with ATT. The current advancing ATT members who have aged out of ATT will also be honored at the Fony’s, so please get me those names. I so appreciate those advancing ATT members who are staying in the group until after the Fony’s. Your experience will help us make this transition. Note: I verbally presented the request you made at our last meeting to extend the age of ATT. I have been asked to adhere to the current ATT rules that on August 1 you must be 18 or younger or still in high school, and you may not join ATT until you are 13. You are highly encouraged to audition for the upcoming APAC shows, your talent and training will be appreciated. The audition schedule for the APAC 2015-16 shows is posted at http://apachawaii.org/auditions/. Felicity Johnson also said she’d love to have you in her inter-generational acting class on Thursdays from 2-4, and her next set of classes starts on August 27. Go here to enroll http://apachawaii.org/classes-workshops/ Someone mentioned that the Alohahas meet in the loft on Tuesday nights which may be an option for those who love improv. Also, I have offered to start a young adult theatre troupe for those too old for ATT for the 2015-16 season. If you feel that there is a need, then you can meet with me to help flesh out our formal submission to the APAC education committee. Because it is APAC’s goal to keep you performing, the best time for the young adult theatre troupe to meet would be Saturday mornings or Sunday evenings, so that it would not interfere with your other APAC performance schedule. But it also could be that you all will be so busy in APAC shows, that there isn’t a need for a young adult troupe. Let’s discuss our options. You’ll let me know how you feel.
As you can see, in addition to starting rehearsals for the Fony’s a lot was accomplished in our last meeting. Hope to see you this Friday. I’ll be there by 4:15 p.m.
|(c) 1999-2016 E. Edwards|